Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you buy the item using the link, you’ll allow me to earn a small commission for the same price that you would pay by going to that site directly. That would be a wonderful way of saying Merry Christmas to me, without it costing you a dime. So THANK YOU in advance for your support!
If there’s a group of people who is really able to see the magic of Christmas in an non-jaded way, it’s children. Therefore, this post is dedicated to the potential toys that they may like.
The Best Tips for Finding the Perfect Gift for Kids
- My #1 tip is this: First of all, focus on listening to THEM.
- Second of all, listen to their likes.
The Best Gift For Kids
Hands down, the best gift you can give kids, is love. Nothing beats its. NO–THING!
I can’t tell you how many times I hear parents saying how much time they waste in finding “the perfect gift” for their kids and then, when the day comes that their children open the gift, the kids are more interested in the box than in the toy.
Or the other thing that happens is that the kids play with the toy for a total of about 5 seconds and then walk away, want to be carried, play with something else, or start to talk to you.
What if you sat for half an hour and played with them with their new toy?
The interaction would be different.
They most likely wouldn’t just leave you… or if they did, they would do so after at least a good solid 15 minutes of playing.
What does this say?
That children are interested in being with YOU more than enjoying the activity by themselves.
“It’s not the batteries that energize the toys, it’s YOU, as the parent, who makes playing come to life and memorable.” -Haydee Montemayor
Of course, there are exceptions, and there are children who are capable of playing alone really well, and prefer to do so. However, most kids thrive when they receive attention and love. They beam when you you take the time to play with them with something as simple as a balloon or a ball. Try it for yourself and see. 🙂
But it’s really common sense, don’t YOU thrive when someone showers you with love and attention?
To wrap up, while we’re on the topic of kids, remember that each person has a love language.
Here are two resources that you might consider reading.
So now that we’ve set the basis for what makes kids enjoy gifts even more, let’s get to the gift recommendations.
Love and Treasure Gift Guide for Kids
Here are some of the best things you can get kids:
This magazine with very sturdy binding is ideal for kids ages 0-2.
Your 2-6 year olds are bound to love this magazine.
This magazine is for kids 6-12. And I happened to grow up with it and love it!
The bilingual or Spanish-speaking kids in your life will greatly enjoy this magazine.
In case you’re wondering, the price for buying the subscription via Amazon is the same as if you visited the Highlights website.
Toys That Foster Creativity and Learning
Dominoes is a game that can be played to encourage pattern recognition, counting, colors, shapes, cause-and-effect and turn-taking. Even putting them away is great practice for kids to realize that things fit in small spaces when you take pride in how you put things away. This may sound trivial, but it’s not.
If you’re not sick and tired of the “Let It Go” song, which I’m not, by the way, you can buy this domino set which is ideal for ages 4-8.
These are good for the whole family to enjoy.
If you know any baby, toddler or small child, it’s very likely that they have more plush toys than they know what to do with.
There is one plush-like toy on the market that is a BIGGGGG hit with kids ranging from 18 months old to 4 years old because it has 2 modes of play, a Toddler version and a Preschool version. In toddler mode, Elmo teaches kids basic cause-and-effect. In Preschool mode, Elmo and the kids can play “Red Light Green Light,” Freeze Dance,” and “Pat-a-Cake.” So depending on how old the child is, they can still be entertained by this toy for several years.
This Elmo is able to play 8 games and activities and has more than 150 responses that will engage with your child all day and even sing a lullaby to him/her when your he/she cuddles Elmo (not that you want Elmo to replace you, of course)! Even though Elmo is able to do all of this, it’s still cuddly, and you can feel a bit on the machinery mostly on the face.
This Elmo is pretty big, and huggable, so it’ll feel more like a companion than a teeny-weenie toy (take a look at the pictures in the link).
If you have a budding photographer in your family, a camera might be just the thing to get them. 3-8 year olds will have fun with these classic cameras:
- Real 1.3 megapixel kids camera with 4x digital zoom
- 1.8 color screen and easy-to-use viewfinder
- 128 MB internal memory stores up to 1000 photos (it stores 800 photos on average); camera comes with a micro SD slot for memory expansion
- This kids digital camera comes with both voice and video recording; videos also record sound
- Take photos with funny stamps, borders, or fun/silly photo effects; change recorded voices with 5 voice changing-effects
- It has 3 fun games that develop creativity, logic skills and memory
- PC and Apple compatible in mass storage mode,
- Connects to VTech Learning Lodge on your computer to store and send photos and access extra downloadable apps and features (such as a free animation maker feature)
- Includes USB cable and 4 AA batteries
It is a 4-in-1 toy that can allow them to:
- take digital photos
- edit digital photos
- make movies
- play games
Providing them a camera like this to your child can allow them to capture their own favorite memories.
Or if you have a kid in the “Go-Pro” phase in life who’s very active, (and ages 4-9) you can allow them to capture their action with one of these Vtech Kidizoom Action Cams:
- Kids camera is durable, versatile and able to capture the most memorable moments; action cam is a waterproof camera meant for kids
- 2 mounts attach the kids digital camera to bikes, skateboards and more; underwater camera comes with a waterproof case to take photos and videos in up to 6 feet underwater
- Features 1.4-inch color video camera LCD screen and the ability to take videos, photos, stop-motion videos and time-lapse photos
- Kids action camera comes with kids games, fun photo effects, frames and filters; download photos and videos using included micro USB cable
- Toy camera has a rechargeable Li-ion Polymer battery with continuous photo-taking and recording time of 2.5 hours; intended for kids ages 4 to 9
- Action cam has a microSD card slot; with a 32GB microSD card (sold separately) the camera records 240 minutes of 640 x 480 video or 278,400 photos 1 of Lexar High-Performance MicroSDHC 300x 32GB UHS-I/U1 (Up to 45MB/s Read) w/Adapter Flash Memory Card LSDMI32GBBNL300A (361)
- Premium memory solution for tablets, sports camcorders, and smartphones
- Quickly captures, plays back, and transfers media files, including 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video • Leverages UHS-I technology for a transfer speed up to 300x (45MB/s)
- Stores up to 8 hours of HD video; 24,800 photos; or 14,200 songs
- Includes high-speed, Class 10 card and SD adapter
- Limited lifetime warranty
Any of these camera styles would be the perfect opportunity to see the world the way that kids see it.
For those of you with tweens with a cellphone (I don’t think that children younger than that should have one, but that’s just my personal opinion), a selfie stick might be just the thing that makes them have a little fun (hopefully you’re monitoring the fun 😉 ).
The most important thing when looking for a selfie stick is that you ensure that it is able to charge the particular phone your kid has.
Here are some contenders that I chose for their high performance, and not necessarily because they charge the latest phones to date (because a tween doesn’t need the latest iphone model now, does he/she?):
PCMag’s Pick, Mpow iSnap Pro 3-In-1 Self-portrait Monopod Extendable Selfie Stick with built-in Bluetooth Remote Shutter With Adjustable Grip Holder for iPhone 6, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S5, Android
This selfie stick:
- Has a built in bluetooth remote control and a great battery.
- Can maximally extend to 3.4 Feet from 0.77 Feet; and 180-degree adjustable head
- Is compatible with most Android and IOS system smartphones.
- The adjustable grip holder fits smartphones size up to 5.5 Inch maximally.
Selfie Stick, Perfectday Foldable Extendable Bluetooth Selfie Stick with Built-in Remote Shutter for iPhone 6s, 6, 6 Plus, 5, 5s, 5c – Black
This selfie stick:
- Has a built-in bluetooth remote control & great battery.
- Has a 270 degree adjustable head allowing you the mount at the top of the selfie stick to be positioned at any point through a 180 degree arc.
- Has a 5 ★ STAR GUARANTEE: Love it or it’s free.
- Lifetime Guarantee.
Kiwii Selfie Stick with built-in Remote Shutter with Adjustable Phone Holder for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5 5s 5c, Android, Wire
This selfie stick:
- Is battery free so you don’t need to worry about recharging it.
- Has a 270 degree adjustable head allowing the mount at the top of the selfie stick to be positioned at any point through a 180 degree arc.
- Has a 5 ★ STAR GUARANTEE: Love it or it’s free.
- Has a Lifetime Guarantee.
Toys That Promote Physical Activity
One of the funnest, most memorable and coming-of-age ways to foster physical activity is through a bike.
Take a look at these bikes to see which is the best fit for your child’s age and personality:
And don’t forget the bike helmets. There’s some pretty interesting ones (aka funky ones).
Who would have said that video games could promote physical activity? Luckily they do, and they can be tons of fun… so fun in fact, that you literally immerse yourself in the game. And you’ll be so engaged that you’ll forget that it’s exercise… although you’re very likely to break a sweat.
Here are some great games that are a lot of fun for the whole family. (All of these games are for the Wii, but even if you have another gaming console, you can click on these links and select the game for your particular console).
Oh and if there is a wanna-be-party-pooper in your family that thinks that dancing isn’t fun, they’re in for a challenge because I have yet to meet someone who says that and doesn’t enjoy playing these games.
Gifts That Prepare Them for Life
Two planners that I recommended in the Love and Treasure Holiday Gift Guide 2015 Part 1: Gifts For Her are The Happy Planner and The Erin Condren Planner.
The reason I only recommend 2 out of the 4 planners I mentioned in another post from this same series is because these planners are ideal for school-aged kids and teens to write in their school activities, homework and extra curricular activities. Plus, they are the perfect size to take to school. Perhaps most importantly, they would be the most fun to decorate with stickers, washi tape and other scrapbooking/planner embellishments.
One of the things that I discovered and purchased that literally made me really, really, happy this year was the Create 365 The Happy Planner by a company called Me & My Big Ideas (MAMBI). It’s versatile, creative, high-quality, affordable and VERY chic! (These are just a couple of the beautiful designs). You’ll find regular, gold-foiled and puffy stickers, notepads, pre-punched paper, sticky-note dashboards, home planners, pocket folders, interchangeable covers and even larger rings to keep what you most love in your planner together. With this planner, you’re in control… and you can truly make it your own.
Aside from buying the Happy Planner, I have been using my Erin Condren life planner. It has helped me stay on my toes and check off the most amount of to-do items, I think ever. And checking off to-do items is one of my favorite things in the world. If you are interested in saving $10.00 off your first purchase, use this link.
Being able to preserve memories and value the stories that are interwoven in our lives is a life skill.
Whether it be with Project Life
or some more traditional scrapbooking material, it’s really never too early to start introducing the value of visual literacy, photography, stories, memories, family and life to kids.
Gifts That Are Simply Fun and Encourage Relaxing Family Time
A Favorite Movie
You can get Disney movies and Blue-rays at your favorite superstore.
You can buy movies at the Disney store. You can even buy your movies on iTunes.
However, if you want a bit of savings, you can buy Disney movies on Amazon for about 40-50% off. And for a bit more, you can get physical movie copies with digital copies.
Now It’s Your Turn
Do you have any awesome gift ideas for kids that were a big hit with them? If so, share them in the comments below. Would love to hear what they are regardless of your kid’s age.
The Love and Treasure Holiday Gift Guide Series
This blog post is part of a series.
Love and Treasure Holiday Gift Guide 2015 Part 1 in which I shared the Gifts for Her and Gifts for Everybody Teenagers and Up,
Love and Treasure Holiday Gift Guide 2015 Part 2 in which I shared the Gifts for Him.
And, like I said last time, even if you dislike all of my gift ideas (which I hope you don’t 😉 ) , or you want to buy a few or all of your gifts on Amazon that you had already thought out and planned to give, since I am an Amazon affiliate, feel free to use this link to do all of your Holiday shopping and purchases year-round… and you’ll be supporting this blog in the process, something that I totally appreciate).Google+