Let’s Talk About Love, Baby
Last week you received an invitation to talk about love. And I sense that you’re a little apprehensive in talking about love. That’s why this post will talk about:
- Why talking about love is natural
- Why talking about love can be beneficial to everyone you love
- 4 Scenarios Where You Can Influentially and Safely Talk About Love
- 35 ways to talk about and communicate love
Perhaps you’re interested in talking about love, or perhaps you’re simply interested in hearing about love because you feel you’re not prepared, you feel you don’t have the knowledge or the courage to talk about love. Or if you do have at least some ideas about what you’d like to say about love and to whom, you’re simply embarrassed to talk about love. You question how people will react to you, and thus, you’re uncomfortable doing so. You perhaps believe you are going to inconvenience people by talking about love. But you know what IS an inconvenience? Not talking about love and not communicating with love. Why? Because whenever you speak or communicate, there are three ways you can come across. You can either come from a fearful/hateful mentality, an I-don’t-give-a-darn mentality or a loving mentality. In a nutshell, you can respond to the world badly, indifferently or kindly.
As you’re starting to see, if you hadn’t already, speaking from a loving place doesn’t mean speaking in flowery, poetic and falsely sweet language. It’s about speaking your truth while honoring yourself, other people, the circumstance you’re in and the world at large. Believe it or not, talking about love and with love is a way to provide service to the world. Not doing so, negatively affects yourself, those around you and the world. Think I’m exaggerating? Imagine a world where everyone communicated with love almost always? We wouldn’t have the social or political issues that we have now. So that little thing called love, isn’t so little, anymore, is it?
4 Scenarios Where You Can Influentially and Safely Talk About and Communicate Love
While it’s important to talk about love and with love almost everywhere, there are four scenarios in which that doing so will yield the best results. These are: when you talk about and with love to yourself, with your family, with your community and with me.
Speak Lovingly to Yourself and Lovingly Take Care of Yourself
The relationship that you have with you is truly important and even though you KNOW that intellectually already, if you’re like most people, you often are more inclined to listen to or help someone else than to help yourself. While it’s very commendable that you’re so generous, the more you are in tune with yourself the better influence you’ll have on others and the more help you can be for them.
When you think of how you can love yourself you think you can love your body, your personality, your achievements, your mind and your soul. Guess which one you should take care of the most? Your mind. And it’s the hardest one to positively impact… yep, even harder than loving your body… because:
You don’t feed your body even half as much junk as you feed your mind.
And of course your soul is important… but if you took good care of your mind, you wouldn’t affect your soul. Besides, your soul is the brightest part of you anyway.
It’s especially important that you radiate love to yourself when you:
- see yourself in the mirror
- make a mistake
- are sick
- feel lonely
- feel hurt
- feel wronged
- failed (whatever that means, anyway)
- forget something
- are at your wit’s end
- are trying to relax
- accomplished something you think is insignificant, but others are grateful for
- are in your own haven such as your bedroom or entire house
- you lose/gain weight
- you find an internal or a physical imperfection in yourself
Avoid judging yourself, because it’s impossible to judge and love yourself simultaneously.
You most likely can relate to the fact that you’re your worst enemy… which you are. But guess what? You’re also you’re only enemy because in sum, you teach the world how to treat you and if you’re not willing to treat yourself right, why should anyone else treat you right? It starts with YOU. The more genuinely you love yourself, the more empathy you’ll have for others and others will have for you.
Be Especially Loving to the Crowd that’s Most Likely to Retaliate When You Do Things Out of Love
Talking to your family and friends about and with love may seem like it’s all going to be give-give-give, peachy and well received. Let me tell you it’s not. Above anyone else, and because of the influence you have on your family and your family has on you… the best way to love your family is not by giving them all they want simply because they want it. It’s a matter of giving, withholding and taking away in the manner that most closely matches what they need the most for their most beautiful evolution. For example, if you have a child, a niece/nephew or a grandchild, you know that giving them everything when they want, where they want and how they want it is not going to allow them to flourish, instead it will, as we say, “spoil” them…. not in a way that implies that they’re bratty, but rather in a way that truly does not allow them, their character, their intelligence, their emotional intelligence or their empathy to expand.
It’s especially important that you radiate love to your family when they:
- Want something that you’re pretty sure is not in their best interest
- experience negative emotions toward you or toward others
- experience positive emotions toward you or toward others
- are seeking your approval in a positive way
- are sad, whether they’re verbally or nonverbally expressing that sadness
- experience confusion
- don’t share their emotions with you
- are too self-sufficient and “strong”
- share too many of their emotions with you even though it may be overwhelming for you
- are not in the “stage” you’re in, whether developmentally, intellectually, mentally, spiritually or emotionally
The reason why talking to your family and friends about love isn’t as easy as one might think is because they expect the world from you. They love you, and therefore, want to feel unconditionally loved, supported and understood by you. They want you to witness their pain in a way that honors their soul and their individuality.
Be Generous With Your Community
Of all the scenarios where you can express your love, this is for many, the most difficult. As you know, you can support your community by volunteering your time and donating money, both of these require some degree of love… but in case you’re thinking you have neither time or money to give…you do have an abundance of one thing and that is simply love.
There are many different ways to serve your community with love. You can:
- Encourage and support your community leaders
- Be nice to every community member regardless of socioeconomic status everyone from the homeless to the mayor
- Contribute to Fundraisers
- Hold doors for people
- Respect and/or beautify public places by at least keeping them clean
- Abide by laws and regulations that promote the enjoyment of the community environment
Not only is it good to do the positive things for everyone as much as possible, but it helps tremendously if you
- don’t gossip about them
- don’t plot with others to humiliate them
- don’t sabotage them.
- If you don’t like what they’re doing propose something better and investigate whom to talk to so that your ideas don’t fall on deaf ears.
In the process, be humble. Some of your ideas will make a difference… and others, will sadly be too “utopic” for them to be implemented… at least for now. But keep dreaming, and keep acting in your own life as someone who moves forward and maybe, just maybe, people will notice. Even if they don’t, you’re still doing what’s best for you and your family…. and your family can someday in some big or small way be the messengers of your vision.
Talk About Love With Me
Talking about love isn’t easy, but I definitely know that it beats the alternatives. Since this site is focused on love, and there is a tremendous need for us to talk about love with ourselves, with our community and with our family and a whole lot of openness and courage that is needed for this, I am encouraging you once again to feel free to contact me via email, snail mail and social media to talk about love. If you’re having trouble or you’re having successes in talking about love and with love,.I would LOVE to be in the loop about what you have to say, therefore, you can use the hashtag #loveandtreasure in any of the major social media forms.
Here is a list of links that you can use to stay connected:
My website contact Form: https://loveandtreasure.com/contact/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LovenTreasure or at @LovenTreasure
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/110616610046451190088/posts
Time for You to Share Your Wisdom Treasures
- Which of the 4 scenarios do you prefer for starting to talk about love and communicate with love? Why?
- Do you have additional ideas for how we together can talk more efficiently and effectively about love and express revolutionary love to others? If so, please leave a comment below.